Some will know what I mean by that title. I’m referring to all the software add-ons that have been “bolted” onto your accounting system, to cater to your business. It was a necessary evil at the time, but now you’re finding it more and more cumbersome to have all of these different software products pieced together. Your system has grown out of control and into the monster known as the “franken-system.”
This is actually a fairly common problem that SMB distributors and manufacturers have. The company starts out with an accounting package, then needs something to better manage inventory, then a CRM, then expense management, then better reporting and well, you get where I’m going with this. It’s not a pretty picture. Why would any company want to be using ALL of these separate software products? It’s not easier, it’s not faster, and it’s not conducive to a growing business. Plus, when you need to upgrade one system, you need to worry about how it’s going to affect multiple others. No thanks.
This was a major reason Empower Business Solutions became an Acumatica ERP partner nearly five years ago. The ERP industry veterans that founded Acumatica recognized this was a problem and set out to solve it by building a cloud-based system from the ground up, that addressing this concern. With Financial management at the core of the system, much of the most heavily customer requested functionality comes out-of-the-box.
Here are some ways Acumatica ERP solves the problem of the dreaded franken-system:
- Customer Management (CRM) fully embedded in the system – move from a quote to an order, track leads and opportunities, and manage all contacts and activities happening within the customer account.
- Case Management - track support tickets (cases) and manage customer issues from start to finish. Fully integrated with the CRM.
- Inventory management – view available inventory, track costs, manage replenishment, manage multiple warehouses, and track inventory by lot or serial number.
- Warehouse management – automate manual processes and streamline your pick/pack/ship processes.
- Business Intelligence - over 250 standard reports, drill-down capabilities, and customizable dashboards.
- Expense management – embedded and fully mobile expense capture that employees can use from any smartphone.
- Document management – attach files at field and line level on any screen.
Then, depending on your industry, there are specific Product Editions for Distribution, Manufacturing, Field Service, and eCommerce that unleash new levels of functionality. The majority of employees at Acumatica are actually developers, focused solely on improving the system for current and future users. Acumatica also puts out two software releases per calendar year, furthering their commitment to adding the functionality customers both need, and want.
I won’t lie and say that you won’t ever need another add-on, that wouldn’t be the case with ANY system. For instance, if you want to track sales tax all the way down to the street level, then Acumatica would use their real-time integration with Avalara’s Sales Tax Automation solution to calculate that. No ERP company can be the expert in everything – they still need to rely on a certified channel of software vendors to provide that highly specific functionality. BUT companies should be at the point where the majority of their daily work and processes are done in one single place – the ERP system.
Modern cloud-based ERP systems have really upped the ante in the last decade. If you’ve been “collecting” software systems over the last 10-20 years, it’s time to take a fresh look and understand the value of what’s out there. If you’re interested in learning more, then schedule a 15-minute call here.
Let us know if you want to consolidate those islands of systems into a (mostly) one source ERP system that can scale with your business as it continues to grow.Do you have a Frankenstein system?